Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Honey-glazed Walnut Bread (a.k.a. the best toast ever!)

 My new love affair with Mary Berry......

Having discovered the delights of 'The Great British Bake Off', the only programme on the television which can successfully sustain my interest for a full hour (no magazines t flick through, no trips to the kettle, not even any talking), my new love affair with Mary Berry has begun.
I have had a craving to make some bread for a while and this recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible caught my eye.

Ingredients.
100g walnut pieces
350g granary flour
350g strong white flour
7g sachet fast-acting yeast
2 level teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon black treacle
500ml warm milk
(1 part boiling, two parts cold)
2 tablespoons ‘good’ olive oil
100g sunflower seeds

To glaze
1 tablespoon beaten egg
1 tablespoon clear honey
Method.
1.       Grease 2 baking trays (or you can use Bake-o-Glide as I did instead). Briefly process the walnuts, or coarsely chop by hand, taking care to keep the pieces quite large. Set aside until ready to use.
2.       Combine the flours, yeast and salt together in a large bowl. Then add the treacle, milk and olive oil and mix to form a dough, either with your hands or an electric mixer. Add a little ore milk, if necessary, to make the dough slightly sticky. Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured work surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Alternatively, use a mixer fitted with a dough hook for about five minutes. When ready, the dough should be smooth and leave the bowl and your hands clean.
3.       Reserve about two tablespoons of the sunflower seeds, then work the rest of the seeds and the chopped walnuts into the dough. Divide the dough in half, then shape each piece into a smooth round and set in the centre of the prepared baking trays. Enclose each tray inside a large plastic bag, sealing a little air inside so that the plastic is not in contact with the bread. Leave to rise in a warm place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size (this can take up to 1.5 hours).
4.       Pre-heat the oven to 200oc or gas mark 6. To glaze the loaves, mix together the egg and the honey and brush gently over the surface of the dough. Sprinkle with the reserved sunflower seeds, then bake in a re-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the loaves are a good conker brown and sound hollow when tapped underneath. If making rolls, they will need less time in the oven. Leave to cool on a wire cooking rack.

Some top tips and findings!
  • I needed to use a lot more flour than it recommends in the recipe to flour the work surface.
  • Ease - 6.5/10
  • Taste of the finished product: 8/10
  • This bread makes the best toast ever 10/10

5 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just found your blog as I was looking for an online recipe of this bread. I bought Mary Berry's Baking Bible and today I tried this recipe, some friends were interested so I was looking for a link to the recipe.
    I made mine into just 1 big loaf and I am very pleased with it, it looks good and it tastes good. Tomorrow I will test the toast :)
    I agree with you regarding the extra flour, I had to use a bit more than what the recipe mentions. Also I had to be creative with the granary flour as I live in Holland and I couldnt find it. Still it is a good recipe, easy to make and I will be repeating it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really pleased that my blog has been helpful (hopefully!)

    Let me know how you get on with the toast; I was tempted to just keep eating and eating.

    Thank you for the comment
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Yes the toast was really good!

    I also made the Farmhouse Brown Seeded Loaf, it didn't look as pretty as the Walnut Bread but it was delicious, went really well with Brie :))

    I am very happy with Mary's Baking Bible, I tried the Very Best Chocolate Fudge Cake and it is fabulous, icing included and so easy :)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I bet this bread toasts up nice. Lovely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of the smell when baking even, will be heavenly. Nice looking recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete